Following the discovery of gold in Butte County the need arose to built roads and bridges.
A route was needed from Butte Creek Canyon to Paradise Ridge, and in 1884 Honey Run Road
was constructed. In September 1886 the Butte County Board of Supervisors sought bids for a
bridge over Butte Creek at the intersection of Centerville Road. Until then the creek was crossed by ford.
In October 1886 seven bids were received. The design chosen was from the American Bridge Co. in San Francisco.
The design was wood, reinforced with steel cables, being able to carry a load of 1,500 pounds at a cost of $4,295.
George Miller was appointed superintendent of construction.
The bridge was built in 3 spans of 30 ft., 130 ft., and 80 ft. to a total of 240 ft.
On January 3, 1887 George Miller reported that the bridge had been completed.
Evidence indicates that the bridge was not covered at the time of its construction.
In 1901, George Miller sent a letter to the Board of Supervisors stating that the flooring and timber of the bridge were
very badly decayed and it was necessary to replace the whole floor system with new materials.
He also recommended that the bridge be housed-in. The cost would be about $560.00.
No written records have been found to document when the bridge was covered, but presumably it was done soon after Miller's recommendation.
On April 12, 1965, a truck crashed into one corner of the bridge, collapsing the eastern span.
Butte County Department of Public Works initiated plans for a new two-lane highway bridge for
an adjacent site just upstream of the Covered Bridge. A new steel and concrete bridge was constructed
and the Honey Run Covered Bridge was closed to vehicular traffic.
During the construction of the new bridge public support was growing in favor of restoring and preserving the Covered Bridge.
A thousand people signed petitions, the Honey Run Covered Bridge Association was formed, and funds
were donated for reconstruction. The bridge reopened to pedestrian-only loading in 1972.
Today, the Honey Run Covered bridge is the only 3-level covered bridge left in the nation.
Come and savor the beautiful view, enjoy
the picnic grounds with your family, and relax.
Dedication of new bench to Gail Galia
Under cloudy and rainy skies a new bench was dedicated May 2, 2009 to Gail Galia. The bench overlooks the creek with a picturesque view of the Covered Bridge.
It is the hope of the Honey Run Covered Bridge Association that other generations will be sitting on Gail's bench enjoying the view and loving the park as much as she did.
|Are you planning a wedding, family reunion, or any other gathering and need a beautiful place to do so?
Consider renting the grounds at the Covered Bridge.|
For information call (530)895-0911.
Visit our Covered Bridge on Honey Run Road and see the wonderfully newly decorated boards filled with historical pictures
and information about the Covered Bridge.|
Then drive up to the Colman Museum on Centerville Road.
Our new exhibit covers all the bridges in Butte Creek Canyon, from the swinging bridges of
yesteryear to the new bridge at the site of the old Centerville Steel Bridge.
For tours of the museum call Sonja at 893-9667.
|September - April
||May - August
|10:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
||10:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.